Saturday, April 4, 2009

Marc Blochs-a-lot & C Dougie

Dear Blogspot,

I just had a wonderful week with my friend Marc. He came ALL the way from Eugene, Oregon to go on an adventure with me!! I might be tooting my own horn a bit, he probably came out for the vacation and me being here was a bonus, but regardless I was still delighted.



Marc and I only had 7 days together, but they were action packed! We started off our vacation with a surfing adventure in Raglan (on the west coast of north island). It was amazing!!! Marc and I are great beginner surfers, we both got up and rode the baby waves all the way to the sand! I haven't had that much fun in the ocean since I was a child playing in California with my uncle. Our car broke down, but we were in luck and happened to stop at the nicest mechanics and they jimmy-rigged the car so that it should be running for the "next 6 months", I am keeping my fingers crossed.



War wounds photo: Colleen has minor injury due to long board whacking me in the face, Dude in background suffering from much more severe surfing injury


we saw these fantastic mushrooms all around the fishing hole...

Then we headed to Lake Taupo for our fly-fishing excursion. Marc is an expert fisherman, he probably would have caught far more trout had I not been fishing right next to him and scaring all the fish away with my sloppy cast and loud mouth. We had a really good time, our feet provided a delicious meal for about 200 sandflies. We got bit so badly we both couldn't sleep at night and had to go the the doctor to get antihistamines.

Don't worry, we didn't kill this beauty!!


Our final fantastic destanation was hiking Mt. Tongariro. John joined us for this beautiful 12 mile hike. It was stunning. The first half of the hike is up the volcano, the next part is walking along the mountain ridge... through emerald-thermal lakes and dried up lava flows, and the last part is all downhill, through fields of wild flowers and along a forest stream. We were all proud of ourselves, we happily made it over the "Tongariro Crossing" and none of us felt too beat up afterwards.




woop woop... almost back to the car!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Coolest damn vacation i have ever been on!!!!!!!

Colleen you made my trip!!

stacey said...

I am so glad you are having fun. The photos are great. We all love you and miss you.

flake said...

Hahha, John looks like a troll with his hair up like that!! Beautiful pics! I love you! Can't wait to be there in a few months!!