Thursday, November 26, 2009

the walls glow pink!


I love my new home in Albert Town, New Zealand. I love living in a wee town where dogs and children can freely roam the streets and locks are left unhitched without worry.

I feel really fortunate that I found such a perfect studio cottage for Alibi and I to sleep in. This is the first time I have ever lived by myself- thank goodness Alibi is here to keep me company. I am kind of exaggerating (as I tend to do) because I am only staying alone for a short period of time, but its still a big change… a big step in the direction of real independent living. Although I already miss having a companion/flatmate to play games with, so I am not sure how long this will last.



I now work for Gibbston Valley Vineyards and am officially a cheap migrant worker, who spends long, hot hours getting burnt in the sun and comes home with hands that are becoming more cut and calloused everyday. Thank god I love wine so much, otherwise I am not sure I’d stick this tough job out to the end of summer. The highlights are definitely learning about growing healthy winemaking grapes and then day dreaming about coming home to my half full bottle of Pinot for an evening drink. Its truly shocking how much work (bud rubbing, thinning, leaf trimming, picking, pruning) and love (blood, sweat, tears, encouraging words and pet names) goes into making a decent glass of vino.

*pause…sip…sigh*

Tomorrow is the end of my first week at Gibbston and then beginning of a long, hot summer in the Central Otago region of New Zealand-home of blue skies, big mountains, long hikes and now me.

1 comment:

stacey said...

I am so glad Alibi is with you. A good dog can make a huge difference in life. : )

Love the photos. And Love you!